7.6.13

Mexican Haystacks


Dinner is Served!

I hadn't originally planned on blogging this casual dinner, but due to much demand after I posted this {see above} photo on Facebook, I am now posting the recipe! Unfortunately I don't have any spectacular photos to share with you as there weren't any leftovers. This was such a yummy and healthy dinner idea! I will be making it over and over again as I'm sure you will be once you try it!

I found this recipe on the blog Whole and Free which is a blog about one family's journey to eating healthier. Check out her blog for some amazing photos of these Mexican Haystacks!

Mexican Haystacks
minimally adapted from Whole and Free

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 onion chopped
3 small cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups fresh salsa (I used fresh is best brand - it took two containers of it)

1 avocado, chopped
1 mango, chopped
1 red pepper chopped
hot sauce for drizzling
fresh cilantro for garnish

Method
1. Start your rice cooking (stovetop or rice cooker is fine). Then brown your turkey and onion until cooked through. Add garlic and stir til fragrant. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add salsa, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered for 20 minutes.
2. While your rice and salsa mixture cook, prep your topping ingredients - you can use whatever you like!
3. Once your rice is cooked, stir through almost all of your chopped cilantro, reserving some for garnish. Scoop rice onto your plate, top with turkey-salsa mixture then sprinkle on toppings as desired. Serve immediately.

{Note - you can easily make this vegetarian by omitting the turkey and using veggies and/ or chickpeas}

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did! I love how simple and quick it is to pull together. Your family can have fun thinking of delicious topping ideas and kids will love assembling their haystack the way they like it!

Happy Cooking my Friends!



1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks fabulous and I bet it tastes as good as it looks. A great summer dinner that will be appearing in my kitchen soon.

    ReplyDelete