Wow! I am finally getting another blog post up. Feels like forever! Sorry about that folks. But I'll make up for it with this amazing recipe Balsamic Pulled Pork. Its spectacular. It was supposed to be balsamic honey pulled pork, but funny thing - my "well stocked" pantry did not contain an ounce of honey. HAHA whoops! So, I did without and this recipe was still great. Make it this weeked - you'll love it because its one of those slow cooker recipes where you just throw it all in and walk away (well, until the last hour any way, then it takes a little bit of effort, what with making the sauce and all). But it is honestly worth the little bit of effort. I promise!
Balsamic Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1 3lb boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup garlic bbq sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 fresh buns
- coleslaw and pickles to garnish, if desired
- Rub pork roast all over with cumin and smoked paprika. Set aside. Place chopped onion on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place pork roast on top of onion and slowly pour over 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high for 5 hours.
- During the last half hour of cooking, make the sauce. Combine the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth, vinegar, ketchup, bbq sauce, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, garlic and pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste sauce, if sauce is too vinegary, add more chicken stock.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and shred. Remove juice and onions from the bottom of the slow cooker and place shredded pork back in the slow cooker. Pour sauce over and stir to combine. Replace lid and cook on low for one hour.
- Top buns with pulled pork, coleslaw and pickles. Enjoy!
This was unbelievably good! I love pulled pork, but this one was just over the top. I made these potato buns - stay tuned - I will post the recipe soon. :) Also coming up - details and a recipe from my most recent cooking class at Well Seasoned and the Crazy Cooking Challenge. Hope to see you soon!
Happy Cooking my Friends!