Happy Saturday peeps! Hope your weekend is off to a good start. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a "healthy" post for you this week after my healthy mac and cheese was an epic fail... I guess some things just aren't meant to be low fat and healthy right?! Is that the wrong attitude to have? Maybe I just need a better recipe... Any way, I was browsing through some of my instagram photos and found this one (apologies for the quality of the photo... I still haven't got the hang of taking photos with my iPhone yet) of Curry Turkey Burgers with Mango Chutney and an Asian Slaw Salad. This is definitely a lightened up burger and the asian slaw salad is a delicious substitute from ceasar salad or french fries. So this is going to constitute my healty post for the week - fitting into the light/ lower-fat category.
Even my hubby who has an aversion to lightened up versions of his favorite foods, really liked these burgers, so I am convinced that even your toughest critics will love these burgers and ask you for seconds. Oh yeah, and they're easy and quick to make, so its a win win situation. What are you waiting for? Whip these up tonight and feel good about your dinner.
Curry Turkey Burgers with Asian Slaw
For the Burgers
- 1 1/3 lbs lean ground turkey or chicken (I used a combination of both)
- A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- A couple pieces of roasted red peppers, finely chopped
- coarse salt
- 2 tbsp mild curry paste or a handful of curry powder
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Multigrain buns (4-6)
- lettuce (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- mango chutney
- Light mayo (optional)
For the Slaw
- 1 package prepared shredded cabbage mix (coleslaw mix)
- 1/4 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
For the Dressing
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable/ canola oil
- Combine the chicken, cilantro, ginger, garlic, roasted peppers, salt and curry paste in a large bowl. Form into five patties. Brush or drizzle patties on both sides with a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Pan fry the patties in a non-stick pan for approximately 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Pile patties onto buns and top with lettuce, mango chutney and guacamole (maybe not if you're watching your fat intake), and light mayo (again - go easy on this if you're watching your fat intake).
- For the slaw, combine the cabbage, cucumber and basil in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients in a small plastic container and shake vigorously for one minute. Drizzle sauce evenly over vegetables and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes and re-toss salad. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds if desired. Serve with the turkey burgers.
I'm off to start up on my Saturday kitchen project... top secret productions in preparation for the February Secret Recipe Club!! Woot! Can't wait to share with you. :)
Happy Cooking my Friends!