25.7.11

I'm Back with Rollkuchen (fried bread)!!

So you may have noticed I have not been blogging... well that would be due to the fact that I was just in Mexico for a week. Hubby & I went to a beautiful adults only resort on the Mayan Riviera! It was awesome and I would go back there in a heartbeat! Check out the resort and maybe you'll decide you want to go there too... It was beautiful and all the restaurants served delicious tasting and beautifully presented food! I thought I would share a couple of pictures from our trip with you! Above is a picture of the palm tree I enjoyed laying under... right by the beautiful pool! Below is a picture of me all dressed up for a dinner at one of the lovely restaurants at the resort.


And lastly, but definitely not least, a picture of the beautiful beach at the resort. The colour of the Caribbean Sea and the soft white sand is just breathtaking! If you haven't been, you should try to go because it really is worth the trip. :) Any way, back to blogging and the reason you came to check out this post... food!


Hubby is a Mennonite, well at least his family is. As such, he grew up eating Mennonite food when he would visit his grandparents and he has fond memories of said food. That being said, my family is also Mennonite, although I wasn't aware of this until my hubby pointed that out to me! You can tell I haven't been raised by a family still observing many Mennonite traditions!! So to do something nice, I decided to try my hand at making rollkuchen which he loves! It turned out beautifully! You can roll just fried pieces in cinnamon sugar for dessert or serve plain rollkuchen along with salted watermelon as is traditional among Mennonite families. But I just served mine with homemade freezer jam like hubby's Grandma showed me how to make! :)


The recipe I have is from my wonderful cookbook Mennonite Girls Can Cook. Check out their blog for many of their delicious recipes, or better yet, check out their cookbook and buy yourself a copy today! Proceeds go to a good cause and you'll have lots of delicious recipes to try your hand at.

I was surprised how easy it was to make the bread - even with the required deep frying! Check out the recipe here. I made mine in my mixer with the dough hook and that seemed to work great and required very little effort. Hope you enjoy!



Happy Baking my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment