21.12.10

On the Seventh Day of Christmas... Eggnog Pudding!


*Update: This post now contains my own photos! This was a delicious recipe that was so well received by my family and friends. Plus, you can make cute individual desserts that would be so perfect for a dinner party.

Despite the lack of photos, this recipe is a real winner and I would encourage you to try it out. I tested it out on my family and a couple of friends and it received very good feedback, do so give it a shot. It is festive and looks so pretty layered in nice glass dishes.

Eggnog Pudding
Minimally Adapted from Country Living Magazine, December 2009

Ingredients:

  • 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk (1 1/4 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 3 tbsp molasses
  • 1/3 cup captain morgan's spiced rum
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 25 small gingersnap cookies (about 1 1/2 inch diameter)
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp confectioners' sugar

Method:

  1. Fill large bowl with ice water and set aside. Combine the sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup of the half-and-half, nutmeg, molasses, rum, and salt in a medium saucepan. Stirring occasionally to prevent burning, bring to a simmer over medium heat, then remove from stove.
  2. Whisk the egg yolks, 1/4 cup half and half in medium saucepan until combined. Slowly add in 1/4 cup of the hot mixture to the eggs while continuing to whisk. Set aside.
  3. Whisk the cornstarch and remaining half and half together in medium bowl. Quickly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the hot milk mixture. Place the pan back on the heat, increase to medium-high, and whisk constantly until it just boils. Remove from the heat and add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture stirring vigorously.
  4. Place the pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid just begins to simmer. Immediately remove from the heat and strain into a medium bowl.
  5. Cover wth plastic wrap, placing the film directly on the hot pudding, and set in the ice bath to cool. Refrigerate.
  6. Crush one gingersnap and set aside. Combine the heavy cream and icing sugar in large bowl and beat to soft peaks. Alternate layers of cooled pudding, gingersnaps, and cream in six 6-oz individual custard cups. Chill for at least one hour. Top with crushed gingersnap and serve.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and can get past the serious lack of photos... I have one more place I can possibly look tomorrow while I'm at work, but my hopes are not high. Will keep you posted.

*UPDATE: I found my pictures! I've updated the post with my own photos. Hope you enjoy!!!

Only a few days til Christmas - hope you've just about finished your preparations. :) Happy Baking my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment