22.12.10

On the Ninth Day of Christmas... Gingerbread Biscotti!

I've mentioned her blog before and I'm going to mention it again because its pretty awesome. I came across this recipe for Gingerbread Biscotti on Jen's blog Food & Whine. It intrigued me right away and I knew I had to make it and soon! I whipped up a batch last night and in no time at all, my house smelled absolutely heavenly. The biscotti were delicious on their own, but I glazed them with an icing sugar glaze to give them a finished look. Boy was that a good call - as my sister put it, they taste like a gingerbread latte! So thanks Jen for sharing such a delicious recipe at the perfect time of year!

Gingerbread Biscotti
Recipe from Food & Whine


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Method:

  1. Line two small baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In bowl of your mixer, cream butter, sugars and molasses until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to egg mixture and mix until blended. Spoon dough into two even piles - one on each prepared baking sheet. Shape into two 9 inch by 2 inch logs.
  4. Bake in 350F oven for 25-30 minutes until browned around edges and firm. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300F.
  5. Let loaves stand on baking sheets for about 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Remove to cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick biscotti. Place slices on baking sheets with cut side down. Return to oven at 300F and bake 2-3 minutes then flip and bake 2-3 minutes on the other side.
  6. Remove from oven and transfer biscotti to cooling rack.
  7. Mix 3/4 cup icing sugar with enough liquid (i.e. milk, whipping cream, lemon juice, etc) to make the icing the consistency you like. Dip tops of biscotti into the icing. Leave out on cooling trays until icing has set. Store biscotti in air tight containers for up to a month or freeze for longer.

This recipe is already on my list to make next year for my Christmas baking gifts. I can't get enough of them (I must confess, I ate three of them for breakfast with my coffee)... Perhaps I shouldn't make them... who am I kidding! Of course I'll make them again - strategy for next year - give them away as quickly as possible so my friends can enjoy them a much as I did this year!

Happy Baking my Friends & thanks Jen for sharing this delicious recipe!

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome Erin. They look great! (I feel like I can even smell them!). I made 4 kinds of biscotti last week and these were by far the favourite in my house. Merry Christmas! - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Wow - I can't believe you made 4 kinds of biscotti. I am really excited to try out your parmesan & black pepper biscotti. :)

    ReplyDelete