Recipe from Food & Whine
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line two small baking sheets with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In bowl of your mixer, cream butter, sugars and molasses until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to egg mixture and mix until blended. Spoon dough into two even piles - one on each prepared baking sheet. Shape into two 9 inch by 2 inch logs.
- Bake in 350F oven for 25-30 minutes until browned around edges and firm. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300F.
- Let loaves stand on baking sheets for about 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Remove to cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick biscotti. Place slices on baking sheets with cut side down. Return to oven at 300F and bake 2-3 minutes then flip and bake 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove from oven and transfer biscotti to cooling rack.
- Mix 3/4 cup icing sugar with enough liquid (i.e. milk, whipping cream, lemon juice, etc) to make the icing the consistency you like. Dip tops of biscotti into the icing. Leave out on cooling trays until icing has set. Store biscotti in air tight containers for up to a month or freeze for longer.
This recipe is already on my list to make next year for my Christmas baking gifts. I can't get enough of them (I must confess, I ate three of them for breakfast with my coffee)... Perhaps I shouldn't make them... who am I kidding! Of course I'll make them again - strategy for next year - give them away as quickly as possible so my friends can enjoy them a much as I did this year!
Happy Baking my Friends & thanks Jen for sharing this delicious recipe!