9.9.10

Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies

First things first - I got a new haircut and have to show it off - new haircut to start my new job! Here is a photo - its definitely different and I lost about eight inches of hair. :D (I AM aware that this is not remotely food or wine related, but I'm excited ok?!)

Alright, now that my face has been plastered all over my blog... lets get on to what you came here for - awesome food! I have a confession to make - I've made some really bad batches of brownies this summer. I'm choosing to blame it on the recipes I've tried, but you never know... maybe I just have a brownie handicap. That is what I was beginning to think - "I've lost my baking touch"... it was a really panicky feeling. But then I went back to the basics - I busted out my "Clueless in the Kitchen - a cookbook for Teens" cookbook. I'm a little embarassed about that... but guess what? It worked! I took the brownie recipe, adapted it and voila - amazingly perfect brownies. So without further delay, here is the recipe for my coconut, chocolate chip (or whatever you have in your pantry) brownies.

Coconut Chocolate Chip Brownies

Adapted from Clueless in the Kitchen, page 153

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup coconut

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa and baking soda. Blend in 1/3 cup of the oil and mix until smooth. Pour in the boiling water, stirring until mixture thickens (for complex scientific reasons, it will thicken). Now stir in the rest of the oil, the sugar, and the eggs. Mix until smooth.
  3. Add the flour, the vanilla and the coconut extract. Blend completely - there should be no lumps. Now mix in the chocolate chips and the coconut, and pour into the greased baking pan. Spread the batter evenly to avoid crispy edges.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until just set in the middle. Don't overcook brownies - they're always better slightly moist.
  5. Let cool and cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar to make them look pretty (if you can wait that long before you devour them). Enjoy!

This recipe was a big hit - my husband didn't want me to share them with anyone (I usually give away about 1/2 of my baking so we don't end up eating all of it), kind of like my cinnamon buns - hubby hides them on everyone else in the house so he can enjoy them all to himself. :) I guess I should take it as a compliment.

Any way, I hope you enjoy this recipe and have an opportunity to give it a try - its easy and delicious. Happy Baking my Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment